Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Warm sensation in the rib cage area spreading to under arm, marginal heartburn. Reason and treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 53 Questions
Dear Doctors,
I am a 63yr old relatively healthy lady who rarely gets ill except for normal colds, flu, sinusitus etc. I do have osteoporosis in my left foot and some arthritis in my hands. I am inclined to have anxiety as well as quite painful varicose veins in my right leg. I only take vitamins, no prescribed medication.
I suffer from dry eye syndrom and am inclined to have itchy skin especially my legs. My main compaint is that I am getting a warm sensation in the upper region of my stomach in the area of my rib cage, which seems to spread around to under the arm area, which is getting warmer by the day. This is not a frequent occurrence but seems to be happenning more often. There is no pain but it is very uncomfortable when it occurs. I have also been experiencing a marginal amount of heartburn which seems to occur when I eat bread, which I do not do ofter, especially rye bread.
I definately do not need an orthopaedic surgeon for this complaint!
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 24 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

From the symptoms that you have mentioned it looks like a gastritis but at the same time you also mentioning that this pain is radiating to the underarm region. In this scenario, I would like to suggest you to take electrocardiogram so that we can rule out underlying heart disease(since this pain may be angina especially if it is associated with sweating and palpitation).I also like to suggest you to check your blood pressure and blood sugar level.

Mean time you can start tab Prevacid one tablet once a day for 2 weeks for burning sensation you have while eating food. Please consult your treating physician who will definitely help you.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further queries, if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor