Wants grow tall. Taking growth hormones. Doing lot of exercises, sleeping enough, having good and healthy diet. What else should I do?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello there, I have already consulted several questions in the past concerning growth in the epiphysis (under sections; General Health and Medicines and Side effects).
The reason I writing up this question is to make sure what is really safe to do and what isn't.
I am concerned about my growth, and it may seem rather strange that a kid wants to grow tall and puts time and effort in to researching, studying and asking questions about his/her potential height, growth spurt, genetics, GH production and anything else but I just feel like I want to take actions before my plates fuse. This year (13 -14) I haven't really increased my height by much but two inches (5 cm) and I am currently around 5'7 (170 cm). My parents differ in height, my mom is around 5'1 whereas my dad is 6'1. Now I have already checked those potential height formulas online which should determine my height by adding up both my parents' height, adding 13 and dividing by my fathers height which states that I will only grow about 2 more inches until my epiphyseal plates fuse together.
Honestly I find this method very inaccurate since nobody even knows if I have any genetic disorders or advantages (could vary a couple of inches adding up to my height or removing from potential height).
Anyway I have come to the conclusion the only possible options I have are:

1) Crossing my fingers and hoping I will have a sufficient growth spurt and reach my wanted height which is 6'4
2) Taking growth hormones (which requires a prescription if done legally, which I probably cannot get because my genetics are perfectly fine)
3) Doing a lot of exercises, sleeping perfectly enough, having a rather good and healthy diet and having a good posture (not sitting too much).

I wanted to know what you think I could do, what would be the best to do especially in my case where I am a manlet and cannot be prescribed any rDNA hormones without having genetic disabilities. Also is it possible for me to become 6'4?

please let me know.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Increase in height is multifactorial dependent

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

I have keenly noted all the points in your description.

As already mentioned, the height of an individual is determined by many factors. A few of them being - Heridity, Race, Sex, Environment, Nutrition, Exercise, Hormones etc.

I suggest you not to turn towards any sort of hormones or anabolic steroids etc, with an intent to increase your height. This is because they tend to produce serious systemic adverse reactions apart from increasing your height. So this is not justifiable.

From the orthopedic point of view, the basic principle lying behind the increase in the longitudinal growth of bone is the stimulus provided by the muscle tendon unit on the growth plate in the form of exercise or physical activity that exerts a constant tension or pull on the epiphysis promoting osteoblastic proliferation and thereby the length of the bone.

It is practically impossible to guess the particular height of a person at skeletal maturity.

Hope I have addressed your issues. I welcome any more clarifications.

Follow up: Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 7 minutes later
So the best thing to do is follow a normal diet, sleep, sport routine involving jumping and stretching so the tendon stretches out and stimulates the growth plates.

Also I have noticed something strange lately.
Every time I wake up I have a cramp/pain in the area of my ankles/tendons, and I'm not really sure what that indicates.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Just stay Physically active

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to hear from you.

That's right. Keep going with your daily routine without thinking much about your height and by having a healthy lifestyle.

The crampy like ache or pain you are experiencing are termed as GROWTH PAINS (Normal phenomenon) which generally occur at the ends of bones. The presence of this growth pains by themselves indicate that your growth plates are active and are in the process of new bone formation promoting the length of the bone.

Have a great day.
Follow up: Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 3 minutes later
Thank you for helping me out. I feel a lot more confident with my growth now that I know I am still growing and everything is fine.
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Always be optimistic & have a positive attitude

Detailed Answer:
You can reach me on XXXXXXX for any musculo skeletal related problems.

Good luck