Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Wanted to introduce infant formula as a substitute for breast milk. Introduced lactogen1 and having rashes on face. Advised duxo lac. Is it safe?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1444 Questions
Dear Sir,

My son is six months old.Next week I have to go back to work.I would like to introduce infant formula as a substitute for breast milk during my work hours.I have already introduced ragi ,banana powder,raw mashed bananas and cooked and mashed vegetablesto my little one.But I have a problem with infant formula.I introduced lactogen 1 to my baby a week ago and baby developed a dry, itchy rash of the face, watery eyes, and a runny nose .My paediatrician suggested pro nan or duxo lac.Today I introduced pro nan 2 and after half an hour he developed the same symptoms.Is there a possibility of milk allergy.If so is there any alternative formula I should try.

Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Relax.there is nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
I understand your concern.

First I appreciate the way you are giving complementary feeding to your baby .

Allergy to infant formula is seen in many babies and is usually due to cows milk which is main ingredient in them.

I suggest you to do following things.

-Use soy based infant formula.
-If baby is allergic to this also hypoallergenic formulas can be used.
-introduce milk in very small quantity.
-most of the times babies outgrow allergy in few days.

I also recommend you to take expressed breast milk,it can be stored at room temperature for about 8 hours and for 24 hours in refrigerator and it can be given to baby in your absence.

Hope I have answered your query,in case you have any other question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.
God bless..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor