Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Want to quit smoking. Want to know about electronic cigarette. Addicted to alcohol

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
I want to enquire for my dad about his smoking habit
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 21 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
In order for me to help you better, it would be great if you elaborated a little on the exact question that you have.
Awaiting your reply.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Want to quit smoking. Want to know about electronic cigarette. Addicted to alcohol 45 minutes later
My dad is a chain smoker.
But currently he wants to Quit smoking even before going for any treatment.
I want to know abt Electronic Cigarette come up in the market currently.
Will there be any side effects and shud he avail any precautions during his Intake.

Age : 65 yrs old.
20 Cigars per day.
Also addicted to Alcohol.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later

A combination of cigarette with alcohol is a bit concerning in terms of your dad's health.

My experiences would suggest to go in for a professional deaddiction program which is supervised by a physician and a psychiatrist. This is based on proper base line assessment of the intent to smoke, circumstances to smoke and personalized treatment plan to get rid of these addictions.

Starting some remedy without medical consult would not be ideal. The process requires slow withdrawal of the intensity of addictions to avoid the XXXXXXX problems associated with withdrawal of smoking.

The most unarguable factors that help him quit include family support and self control.

Regarding the Electronic Cigarette, it is not a magic and not ideal to start quitting. No robust evidence in terms of results achieved when compared to placebo.

Hope this helps in taking a better decision.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor