Want to postpone my period. Is it safe to take sysron N?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: Is taking Sysron N for delaying periods safe? I am getting married on my date hence I need medicine to postpone my periods for two days. My doc told me to take 1 tab per day 3-4 days before date. But I have read at many places that 3 tabs per day are required for the same. Is any there any other tab apart from contraceptive to delay menstruals
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 32 minutes later

Yes, it is better to take three tablets per day as you read. Because sometimes single tablet may not be sufficient to maintain the hormonal levels which are required to postpone the periods.
You may have minor side effects like nausea, bloating sensation of the abdomen etc. which will subside soon.
Usually the tablets used for postponement for periods are hormonal pills only which can also act as contraceptives if taken according to the recommended schedule for that purpose.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 49 minutes later
Thanks for the answer . Also is there any precaution I should take while in medication . Can I continue medicine for three weeks ? Also are there any symptoms on whose occurrence I should be consulting doctor.? I hope this medicine doesn't have any long term side effects.. For how many days I would be having these minor side effects ? Also I guess normal menstruation resumes two three days after I stop this medicine. Also there was another medicine prescribed by doctor MALA N. Which one according to you is better.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later

-You have to take the tablets at same time every day, delay of more than 3 to 4 hours or missing the tablet can cause withdrawal bleeding.
-If needed you can take, but better to limit the intake of tablets to the lowest possible days.
-Usually these may not cause severe side effects, if symptoms like severe head ache, swelling and tenderness of calf of the legs, difficulty in breathing etc. develops, stop the tablets and consult the doctor immediately.
-Usually it will not have long term side effects.
-You can have the minor side effects during intake of tablets.
-After stopping the pills within 5 to 6 days you can get withdrawal bleeding.
-If you want tablets for postponement of periods and also with contraceptive action you can use MALA N. But it has to be started form 1st day of periods for effective function.
If you mention your marriage date I can explain better.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 minutes later
Then I guess sysron n is fine . 9th dec is marriage date and usually my date is after 27-29 days. if i take 27 days into consideration then it falls on 10th dec. and what should be difference in time when taking each dose in a day ? Also when should i start taking tablets? Also in precaution in food,med ,etc.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later
Yes, sysron is better, as there is only 8 day gap for marriage.
You start the tablets 4 to 5 days before expected date of periods.
Better to take tablets at the same time every day. Gap should be 8 hours between the tablets.
Like 7am-3pm-11pm.
No precautions needed in food. If you want to use any medicines for any reason, once take the opinion of your doctor before starting.