Want to grow taller. Among Aromatase Inhibitor, Anastrozole and Formestane. Which one is effective and safe?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi there, I have already consulted two earlier questions concerning the same topic which I am about to explain.
I am a 14 year old boy, and I am aiming to grow taller than my genetic heigh which is approximately 175 cm. I have done quite some research on the endocrine system, as well as growth hormones (somatotropin, tev-tropin etc.) however I concluded that it has many side-effects, especially in those who do not necessarily need it, and are not prescribed by the doctor to get it.
After sometime I found out that Estrogen is the cause of the epiphyseal plate closure and also read an article that Anastrozole can inhibit that process and allow you to grow for a longer period of time (which usually results in a taller height).
Now I come to the conclusion that there shouldn't be any severe side-effects, other than some tensions, pains/cramps and that it does not require any prescription as it's not a steroid, but I see that there are many Estrogen inhibitors, such as; Aromatase Inhibitor, Anastrozole, Formestane and many other products, I would just like to know which one is more effective (dosage and product), if this at all is safe, and whether or not it is indeed useful.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Any effort to bypass your "genetically determined" growth potential is going to come with significant short and long-term side effects. It is simply not healthy to pursue such a course, especially while you are still growing. You are currently 5 ft 8 inches tall, and will likely still gain some height as you continue to mature.

With regard to Anastrozole, here are the reported side effects:

1. Chance of developing ischemic cardiovascular disease = 4%
2. Chance of developing high blood = 2%
3. Mood disturbance = 19%
4. Fatigue = 19%,
5. Pain = 11% to 17%
5. Headaches = 9% to 13%
6. Depression = 5% to 13%
7. Rash = 6% to 11%
8. Hot flashes = 12% to 36%
9. Nausea = 11% to 19%
10. Vomiting = 8% to 13%
11. Weakness = 16% to 19%
12. Arthritis = 17%
13. Bone pain = 6% to 11%
14. Osteoporosis (thinning of your bones) = 11%

So, I respect your extensive research, but pursuing such a course is not without short term side effects, not to mention the long term effects on your heart and bones. This is clearly not a good idea. Worse yet, such a discussion should not be attempted 'over-the-counter'. One thought to consider is a visit with an Endocrinologist to discuss your concerns and goals.

I wish you the best of luck.