Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Want to go for complete body health check up. What are the required test to be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 101 Questions
I want to undergo a complete body health check up which includes tests for any type of cancer and other disease, Since I XXXXXXX not know what all tests to undergo can you please provide me a list of general tests which can help me cover most of the disease.
I have done a few tests recently as a 2D doppler of the heart a sonography of abdomen in the last 4 months so is there a need to undertake them again.
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 31 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

If you do not know to have any health problem at the moment, you should not repeat the 2D Doppler of the heart or the ultrasonography of the abdomen.

I would recommend you for the moment: blood tests (biochemical analysis, molecular profiles, cellular evaluation) , urine analysis and chest X-ray.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Want to go for complete body health check up. What are the required test to be done? 10 minutes later
About a few weeks back I was having some slight pain in my chest so I had to perform 2D doppler tests but the doctor ruled out heart condition also the blood cholestrol was ok there was a slight increase in the VLDL .
Also had done a CBC in which everything was in the normal ranges only Lymphocytes were 47% the normal limits were 20-40%.

Chest X XXXXXXX was also done at the same time which also was normal.

I want myself to be screened for any possible disease so I was looking for a cancer blood test also can you please suggest .
also can you please let me know the tests which will be covered under biochemical analysis, molecular profiles, cellular evaluation.
and is urine analysis a normal one or of a urine culture .

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 4 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

The following tests will be covered:

- under biochemical analysis: a metabolic panel (sodium, potassium, chloride, bicarbonate, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), magnesium, creatinine, glucose, and calcium); blood tests focusing on cholesterol levels (LDL, HDL cholesterol levels, triglyceride levels); carbon dioxide, oxygen levels, blood pH and bicarbonate levels);

- under molecular profiles: protein electrophoresis; Western blot; liver function tests; polymerase chain reaction (DNA); Northern blot (RNA); sexually transmitted diseases;

- under cellular evaluation: full blood count; hematocrit and MCV; erythrocyte sedimentation rate; blood cultures.

The urine analysis is a normal one, because it is a set of screening tests that can provide a general overview of a person's health. Only if you have symptoms which can be correlate with the urine analysis results and then to you can do a urine culture to search for the causes of abnormal findings (to look for a urinary tract infection).

If all these test are normal and you have described completely your current health condition, I would not recommend you any cancer blood test, but only to answer your question, here you have a list with cancer blood tests:

- Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP)
- Beta-2-microglobulin (B2M)
- Beta-human chorionic gonadotropin (Beta-hCG)
- BCR-ABL fusion gene
- CA15-3/CA27.29
- CA19-9
- Calcitonin
- Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA)
- CD20
- Chromogranin A (CgA)
- Immunoglobulins
- Lactate dehydrogenase
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA)

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor