Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Want to conceive and have done cocaine, how will it effect the sperm, long term or temporarily?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
if you want to conceive and have done cocaine,how long should you have stopped using the drug before looking to procreate?if you use the drug,will it effect the sperm long term or temperarally?
Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can cause developmental defects in baby.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Cocaine can bind to the sperm and sperm might carry cocaine or other toxins into an egg, triggering the kind of developmental problems in offspring already seen in animal studies. It cause a long term damage to the child.
This does not directly affect the morphology or motility of the sperms. It is best to stop using cocaine at least three months before you start planning for a child.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor