Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Want to conceive. Have light brownish spotting, spasms on left side. Pregnancy test done. Reason and indication?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
I've just started trying to conceive with my husband. I did a pregnancy test the day I would be getting my period, hoping to have enough of the hormone, but it came back negative, and since I did start light bleeding that day I thought I couldn't be pregnant for sure, however it's now been 4 days, and my bleeding still hasn't gone beyond light brownish spotting, with tiny red streaks, not enough to wear more than a liner, which is very unusual. I have never had a light period. I usually have a maximum of two light days at first, and then it gets very heavy, and i normally have cramps all the way through. This time, and only today on the fourth day, I have had very light pain in the left side only, which now feels like movement and spasms instead of pain. What would be the best course of action? Should I wait till next month to take a pregnancy test? What are the chances that I have already miscarried?
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your symptoms are likely to be due to a hormonal imbalance or an ectopic pregnancy.
To rule this out, you can get your serum Beta HCG levels evaluated which is a more specific test for pregnancy. In case the test is negative then pregnancy is ruled out and a mild hormonal imbalance is the likely cause for the light bleeding you are having.
You can get the appropriate tests planned under the guidance of your gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor