Waiting to have thyroid surgery. Taking levo. Any relation between TSH and the surgery?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi waiting to have thyroid surgery papillary and hurthle cell malignacy found in small nodule biopsy. Question the surgeon talked to endochronologist and he says I have to go on a higher dose of levo for at least a week before we can do surgery. Just started taking .50 about a month ago my TSH level is 10.7. Doesn't seem to high compared to some of the people in the chat rooms. What does TSH level have to do in relation to thyroid surgery?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Raised TSH levels or the levels on the higher side are suggestive of a lowered thyroid hormone levels in your body which are likely to be lowered further after resection of nodules surgically.
Raising the dose of levothyroxine will help in bringing the TSH levels to a lower level which will help you better in fighting with the stress of surgery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
Thank you. That makes sense. Do you think I will have to have another TSH test before they will do surgery
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A TSH level assessment just before the surgery will not be that much helpful. A test after the surgery is recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.