Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Vomiting, lose motion. Prescribed emeset syrup, nutrolin B. Suggest medication and diet

User rating for this question
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6930 Questions
hi, my son is 11 months old and he has started vomiting yesterday more than 7 times and we went to doctor he prescribed emeset syp and nutrolin B and today he got loose motion very watery. what should i do further and what diet should i follow. he is just 7.8 kg and he has not put on weight from last 2 months.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

The vomiting and diarrhea that your 11 month old child is having could be due to a gastrointestinal infection. Infections may it be of gastrointestinal tract or respiratory tract are quite common in infants.

The emeset syrup is to control vomiting and nutrolin B is to control diarrhea.

However, the watery diarrhea in an infant can cause substantial loss of fluids in body and can cause electrolyte imbalance.
Fluid replacement is the mainstay of treatment right now.
WHO Oral rehydration solution (ORS) should be started immediately to make up for the losses.
I would advise you to visit your pediatrician to determine the amount of fluid loss because in severe cases intravenous fluids may be required.

Since, your child is not gaining weight from last 2 months, a nutritional screen also needs to be done by the pediatrician.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Vomiting, lose motion. Prescribed emeset syrup, nutrolin B. Suggest medication and diet 22 minutes later
thank you doctor. what diet should i follow for him now? im from bangalore and i didn't get that ORS thing. is there any alternative medicine?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 7 minutes later
Hello and welcome again,

ORS is available at every medical store and every primary health center also.

You can make a ORS solution at home by adding one tea spoon of sugar and a pinch of salt to a glass of water. You can give to your child sip by sip.

In diet, you can give dal water, coconut water, milk to begin with.
Later you can give simple home made food like rice-dal, XXXXXXX etc.

But it will be good that you visit your pediatrician to look for features of dehydration.

If you have more queries, I will glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor