Vomiting and diarrhea at the same time. Can it be diverticulitis attack or gall bladder attack?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: diverticulitis&gallstonesi was sick to my stomach
yesterday and had diarreah. i was throwing up yellow junk,there was no food in my vomit nd my diarreah was clear. i went to the emergency room and the er doctor said he thought it was my gallstones to. does this sound like a diverticulitis attack or gall bladder attack?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 59 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
I am not sure if you have been previously
diagnosed with Diverticulosis and also as
having Gallstones.They can occur together.
Your main symtom seems to be nausea,vomiting
and diarrhea.If your abdominal pain was located
in the lower parts, along with fever, chills, even
some blood &mucus, that is more likely to be
a case of acute diverticulitis.
If the severe pain was located in the right upper
quadrant associated with radiation to the right upper
back, nausea, vomiting,fever,chills and yellow jaundice,
more likely diagnosis is acute cholecystitis.
In either event, you would have been admitted to the
hospital for further treatment.
They would have performed blood tests including complete
blood count, liver tests and pancreas enzyme tests.
An ultrasound of the liver& gallbladder and perhaps
a CT-Scan of the abdomen to look for abscess or rupture.
If they sent you home without doing any of these, I don't
think they can say that you had gallbladder problem.
It might have been a case of "Stomach Flu" or virus
induced gastroenteritis.
Hope you are feeling better, if not, back to E.R. with this
informatio.
I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 12 minutes later
i was diagnoses with diverticulitis back in may of this year with gall stones
they.gave me two antibiotics
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later
Hello, XXXXXXX
If you had a very high white blood cell count , high
fever , you would have needed hospitalization, Intravenous
fluids and antibiotics.
If you have multiple gallstones and have had previous gallbladder
attack, you should have your gallbladder removed. This can be
done through a laparoscope and it is an in and out (Same day)
surgery barring any complications.
Hope this helps.
Wish you well.