Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Volcano red spot on scalp, hydrogen peroxide, neosporin

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I have a spot on my scalp that now looks like a volcanoe, red rimmed, XXXXXXX hole. It started with what I thought was a tiny scab about 6 or so weeks ago. Tonight when I combed my hair, a kinda clear scalp skin scab came off with a tiny amount or white granular powder under it. And the volcanoe rim surrounding a hole. I used hydrogen peroxide to clean it and neosporin.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

From the symptoms that you have described, It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Is the lump painful?
2)     Since when are you having this spot?
3)     Does it drain any white sebum like discharge?

It can be an epidermoid cyst or a keratoacanthoma (more likely). Keratoacanthoma is a rapidly growing skin malignancy usually appearing as a volcano-like bump on the sun-exposed skin of middle-aged and elderly individuals and is very commonly found on scalp. It starts as a small pimple and grows rapidly over the course of 2–6 weeks causing a volcano like nodule with a central depression filled with white keratin.

To confirm the diagnosis, you need to get it examined from a dermatologist and get a biopsy skin done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor