Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Very hard lump on the right side of head below the scalp. Told as calcification. Do I need to seek medical attention?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1197 Questions
I have a very hard lump/bump on the right side of my head just below the scalp for approx. 4-5 years. It may have gotten slightly bigger in the last few years. I have been told in the past it was calcification, and it was nothing to worry about. Every once in awhile a do get concerned about it. It has no color, no softness, no drainage or anything like that so I don't believe it's any kind of cyst. Any ideas what it may be or if I need to seek medical attention
Posted Wed, 30 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult neurosurgeon and get CT scan done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

From your query, if the scalp swelling is there for 4 or 5 years, it is a slow growing lump and most likely benign. However, you must get it evaluated completely by a doctor before jumping into conclusions. Though it seems harmless at the moment, I would suggest you to consult a neurosurgeon and get a CT scan done. Calcifications in the head are best studied by CT scan. If the exact diagnosis is still not clear, a MRI scan might be necessary.

There are many possibilities including cysts that are hardened and will not discharge. It could also be a slow growing bony lump. It can also have an attachment with the skull bone, this can be studied only with imaging investigations.

I hope this helps,
Any further queries are welcome.
Dr. A Rao Kavoor
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor