Owl Image

Ask a Dentist   »  

Veins under tongue started hurting. Any common reasons?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi, My son said his vein under his tongue hurt on left side. I looked the left side looks fatter then right. any common reasons why this would happen?
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The sublingual veins are usually large and prominent. An engorged vein will usually result from local inflammation.

2. It will help if you can share a close-up picture of the under surface of the tongue. Sometimes, a salivary duct swelling, a local lymph node swelling, sublingual salivary gland inflammation or a tongue bite may be responsible.

3. If there is mild pain, routine medication will settle it. If you suspect a local inflammation causing obstruction of the left sublingual vein, get a neck ultrasound and a tongue doppler done study done. Get a dental opinion.

4. Propecia (finasteride) is unlikely to cause a one sided problem such as this.

5. You may follow up with the reports of the above investigations here. Further treatment will depend on the results of the investigations.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.