Vasectomy, testicles pain, vas deferens was hardened, pain in lower abdomen

Posted on Thu, 24 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Question: i had a vasectomy about 12 weeks ago. about 4 weeks after the procedure my testicles would hurt as if i had been kicked in them. after a self examination i found that one of the vas deferans was hardend. over a few days it softened up and the pain eventually went away. since then this has happened a few time and the pain allways goes away after about 3 days. about 6 days ago it started up again but there were no hard vas deferans, and the pain is more intense. i only get partial relief when i sit down. the pain radiates into my lower abdomin just like i was kicked.
Follow up: Dr. Kiran Kumar 6 minutes later
i have had a dull pain in my lower to mid left abdomine. it has been there conatsntly for about 2.5 years. at first i thought it was a pulled muscle but it has not gone away after all this time. any ideas as to what mght be causeing this.
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 5 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

You mentioned that you get testicular pain on and off starting 4 weeks after vasectomy.

You have a condition know as "Post Vasectomy Pain Syndrome" (PVPS).

Post-vasectomy pain syndrome is a chronic and sometimes debilitating genital pain condition that may develop immediately or several years after vasectomy. When pain in the epididymides is the primary symptom, post-vasectomy pain syndrome is often described as congestive epididymitis.

The definitive cause for PVPS is not known and may be the result of a number of subclinical processes occurring within the epididymis and further up into the spermatic cord. Theories have included epididymal congestion, painful sperm granulomas, vascular stasis, and nerve impingement.

Other causes which can cause such symptoms post vasectomy are
Nerve impingement or injury,
Varicocele or hydrocele,
Infection, tumor,
Intermittent testicular torsion and
Inguinal hernia

You need to consult your surgeon and get yourself evaluate. An USG Scan of the scrotum will be definitive in identifying the cause for you.

Its appears to be most likely PVPS. This just needs symptomatic treatment.
However, if its due to other mentioned condition, then they will need different line of treatment.

So a detailed examination and US scrotum will be helpful for you.

You have dull pain in Lower and Mid abdomen for 2.5 years. It does not seem to be related to whats happening now.

Wish you good health.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Kiran Kumar