Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Vaginismus. Want to know how to treat it.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
Hi, I am a 26 yr old recently married woman. My weight is 50kg. I have not had any serious medical issues before. I am experiencing the symptoms of vaginismus. I have searched online and found certain self help kits that are available to treat vaginismus. Please advise me on how to go about treating it. I am currently living in Pune, India and I would like to know of any doctors, preferably female, who specialize in treatment of vaginismus in Pune.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

Thank you for posting the query. I would like to seek more information about your condition before offering you a proper solution:

1) How did you come to diagnosis of vaginismus. Did any doctor diagnose it?
2) When do you feel pain, during insertion of penis or after insertion?
3) Are you apprehensive about intercourse and so don’t feel like having sexual intercourse due expected pain?
4) Have you used any lubricating gel before sexual intercourse so that insertion becomes easier?
5) Since how many months are you trying to have sexual intercourse? Approximately how many times a week you try to have sexual intercourse?

I know you may feel these questions are little personal. But I need to know detailed history so that I give some simple treatment. Majority of women who think they have vaginismus may not actually have it.

Please let me know what your apprehensions are before suggesting, so that I can address them. Please reply me with answers for above queries which will make it easier for me to answer your problem more scientifically and simple way.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Vaginismus. Want to know how to treat it. 3 hours later
Dear Doctor,

The answers to the above questions are as follows:

I was recently married, its been just over 4 months. I have not had sexual intercourse prior to marriage. During the first time, it was extremely painful, but I assumed that is normal. However, I did not experiance any bleeding which normally happens due to the breaking of the hymen. There was a certain amount of penetration but the penis was not entirely inserted in me, so I assumed that may be the reason. However, the following attempt was no less painful and penetration hardly occurred. Anyways, I decided to give myself some time and my husband and I took it slow. During the following attempts, it has gotten a bit better, due to better positioning but he is still not able to insert his penis entirely in. I thus went online and decided to do some research and came across vaginismus. I feel I have the symptoms such as tightness during insertion. I have not visited a doctor till date.

I feel pain during insertion. I have to say though, I do not feel pain during initial insertion of the penis head, but I feel pain during the thrusting.

Initially, I was apprehensive, but as it has gotten a bit better from the first time, I do not feel afraid. My husband and I are able to have an orgasm most of the times we have intercourse. There is still pain but I would say it is not unbearable.

During the first few attempts, my husband would use gel but we have not used it since.

We have continued to have intercourse, an average of 5 times a week. As I mentioned earlier, it has become a little easier but he has not been able to insert his entire penis in me and I feel the pain during the thrusting, so we go slowly.

I have to say though, I still have not experianced any bleeding during intercourse and I am not sure if my hymen is intact or not.

The main concern I have right now is that my husband is not able to insert himself entirely in me and there is some pain, which I know is not normal, that occurs during insertion. I am not sure if this is vaginismus or something else.

Another thing that occurs is that there is an unpleasant smell. I am not sure if this is connected because the smell usually occurs 1 week before my period and last for around 1 week to 10 days after my period.

I hope the information I have provided will be helpful in diagnosing me.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Thank you for posting detailed history. It provides useful information. Picture is clear now.

My advice is as follows:
1) I do not feel that you have vaginismus.

2) Universal myth: A lady should bleed after first time intercourse. Let me tell you, its completely false. Medically it is not necessary to have bleeding.

3) Universal myth: A lady should have intact hymen if not had intercourse. Its totally false, Hymen can rupture during excercise, sport activity, horse riding and so many other events. If your hymen is not intact without having sex, it is perfectly normal in many women.

4) The above explaination offers query regarding hymen and bleeding. Its normal.

5) Please continue using gel, as it helps to certain extent.

6) So why there is pain: Vaginismus pain occurs during insertion. But your pain is during thrusting which indicates some form of problem, which could be uterus or ovaries. It could be either endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease.

7) Since you mention bad smell it indicates a condition called Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID).

8) How to diagnose: Please get Transvaginal ultrasound (TVS) done. This gives accurate diagnosis. So please get TVS done and know the condition.

9) Be happy, that there is treatment for these conditions if it is diagnosed on TVS. Once the condition is treated, you won't feel pain during thirsting and your husband can insert completely. Please continue using gel meanwhile.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Vaginismus. Want to know how to treat it. 40 hours later
Dear Doctor,

As I mentioned before, I have never visited a doctor for a checkup and I have recently moved to Pune, India. Do you know or recommend anyone from Pune, India who would be able to treat my condition.

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 9 minutes later

Dr. XXXXXXX Tandulwadkar is a specialist in such treatments in Pune. Following are her contact details:

Dr. XXXXXXX Tandulwadkar
1, Solo Clinic, 24/1, Pancharatna Society,
Karve Road, Erandawane, Pune 411 004.
Mob: 0000 Email: YYYY@YYYY

You can convey Dr.Mahesh Koregol from Bangalore has referred you further treatment.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
IVF and Infertility specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor