Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Vaginal swab culture report said positive for beta haemolytic streptococcus. Need antibiotic?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 3767 Questions
Sample type:     Swab
C. trachomatis (NAAT)Swab     Negative
N. gonorrhoeae(NAAT) Swab     Negative

HIGH VAGINAL SWAB     .          
Trichomonas vaginalis     Not seen
Epithelial Cells     +
WBCs     Not seen
RBCs     Not seen
Yeasts     Not seen
HVS CULTURE     +++ beta-haemolytic Streptococcus of
Lancefield Group B isolated.
_Streptococcus Sensitivity_
Penicillin . . . . . . Sensitive
Clarithromycin . . . . Sensitive
Clindamycin . . . . . Sensitive
Tetracycline . . . . . RESISTANT
NO N.gonorrhoeae, Candida or G. vaginalis isolated
Mycoplasma / Ureaplasma     Negative

Do I need to use antibiotics?
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I have read your query and I understand your concerns. Following is my reply:

Your high vaginal swab culture shows presence of streptococcus with sensitivity to antibiotics. Therefore you would need antibiotics to treat it. Among the antibiotics mentioned, it is better to use clindammycin vaginal pessaries. They are to be inserted into vagina at night before sleeping.

You can discuss about this with your treating doctor and take a prescription (clindamycin or any other sensitive antibiotic) from your doctor. I am sure you will be alright after taking the antibiotics.

I hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor