Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Vaginal spotting after menopause. Should I be concerned?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I have not had a period is about 2 or 3 years. Yesterday I had a dark brown vaginal discharge (one time). Today I noticed just an extremely light trace of brown when I used the bathroom. Do I need to be concerned?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 50 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

According to your clinical presentation, you are in post menopausal age group (55 yrs) and in this stage, brown vaginal discharge may indicate underlying uterine pathology. Another thing, if you are taking hormonal medication (estrogen) in long duration for post menopausal symptoms, then it may cause above features.

Therefore, we have to rule out the possible causes of post menopausal bleeding or brown discharge in this context. These are as follows:

1) Endometrial or cervical polyp.
2) Endometrial atrophy (thinned out) or hyperplasia.
3) Endometrial cancer- more risk with postmenopausal bleeding.
4) Others- vaginal infection, adenomyosis, certain medication etc.

Here, complete physical examination including pelvic/ speculum /colposcopic exam is needed to rule out underlying pathology.

Possibilities can be narrowed by several investigations like blood test for thyroid profile & clotting factor abnormality, Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) scan, Pap smear test to detect cancerous changes, vaginal swab test for infection and endometrial biopsy (may be needed).

Complete treatment depends on underlying etiology. So please consult with your gynecologist for proper guidance through investigation, physical examination and medication with suggestive measures to be taken.

Follow some basic measures that will be helpful:

1) take healthy diet with iron supplements and avoid salty/ spicy food stuff.
2) drink more water and eat more XXXXXXX vegetables & fresh fruits.
3) avoid stress/tension by XXXXXXX breathing with adequate sleeping.
4) maintain genital hygiene properly and check up for BP in regular interval.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health in future.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Vaginal spotting after menopause. Should I be concerned? 8 minutes later
I just noticed that now I have more spotting and it has some red in it. It seems to be following the pattern of the periods I had before menopause. Does this mean things are more serious? I have called my gynecologist and left a message with the nurse.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 11 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, post menopausal bleeding is always taking as a serious event and several investigations are required to rule out possible underlying risk factors. Sometimes early treatment is necessary in case of endometrial carcinoma. Therefore, you should contact or take an appointment to your gynecologist at the earliest.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor