Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Vaginal pain during sex after birth. What should be done to get cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
Hello my wife's vagina is still in pain after sex due to the birth of our 15 month old son. It has killed our sex life is there anything we can do to regain our sexlife? Right now if we have intercourse we cannot touch again for a month. Is there a way to desensitize a vagina as her clitorus is to sensitive for foreplay either?
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 32 minutes later
Welcome and thanks for writing to us

Painful intercourse after delivery is very common and it is due to dryness and soreness of vagina.You can use lubricants available at pharmacist.Xylocaine ointment 5% for local use is a good lubricant as well as desensitizer.If you are using condoms buy the one with lubricants which are water based rather than oil based as they can tear or slip easily.If there is an episiotomy scar which is painful , pain killers can be taken and it is better to talk to your obstetrician regarding it.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor