Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Vaginal hysterectomy done. Stitches not getting dissolved. Getting problem while intercourse. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12719 Questions
I had a vaginal hysterectomy (ovaries left in tact) in March.
I initially had a bladder then a vaginal infection. I also had a bladder sling TVT inserted. Multiple adhesions were found around my bladder, bowel, uterus, and the 2 caesarian scars.

When my husband penetrates me from the mission position, he feels an irritation on his penis, that then makes it very sore. Is there a chance, 4 months later that there are still stitches at the top of my vagina? If so, is it a permanent thing, or would be slower to dissolve than the rest that have already dissolved?

I'm getting a bit of discharge, mostly clear and a little that is white ish. I didn't think I'd get much discharge after a hysterectomy.

Thank you :)
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
In case of a vaginal hysterectomy, stitches are there on the vaginal vault which may be non absorbable or permanent. The cut ends of the suture material can cause the irritation that he is having.
A physical examination by a gynecologist will help in confirmation. The suture material that is left can be removed now after three months or the cut ends can be made shorter to avoid the irritation.
The mild clear discharge that you are getting is formed by the normal bacteria and fluids the vaginal cells put off and it can be more noticeable at different times of the month depending on the hormonal changes. This is not indicative of any pathology.
I want you to be aware of symptoms like, yellow or XXXXXXX colored discharge, discharge with bad odor, or if it is clumpy or cheese like. Watch out for itching, discomfort, rash or sores along with a vaginal discharge. If you happen to notice any of the above mentioned symptoms, seek instant medical help.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor