Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Vaginal discharge, foul smell, yeast infection, on acidophilus, insertable vaginal creams, pap smear caused pain. Treatment ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12754 Questions
have had family dr about 4 yrs ago and nursing home dr. last year. treating this with one-time oral med without success; also tried eating yogurt every day and taking acidophilus tabs 3 x day; have had this for at least six years; tried otc insertable vaginal creams w/o success; yellow foul-smelling, probably yeast, causes itching and redness in vaginal area if not kept clean enough; only loose cotton underwear worn; went to gyn maybe 7 yrs ago for pap smear and she caused me such great pain with medical instrument that I screamed; she was unable to extract cells for testing and I never returned; have been a widow since 1987 and have not engaged in sexual relations for several years previous to that since my husband became very ill. Since vaginal cream insertion treatments run only a few days, might it be helpful if I purchased 3 or 4 tubes and had a longer course of treatment? I do not see how a gyn can do an exam in the office due to my size; also I can no longer get up on the exam table. What can you suggest?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Getting treated for vaginal discharge multiple times without being relieved of discharge is distressing. Bacterial vaginosis is usually associated with super added fungal infections and if not treated vigorously is notorious for recurrence.

A vaginal swab culture sensitivity will be helpful in determining the antibiotic which will be most suitable for your infection.

Yeast infections in female genital tract are notorious for recurrence. Once you contact this infection, it should be treated vigorously with oral antifungal agents. You need to take antifungal drugs orally along with antibacterial agent in order to treat any super added infection that might have been present.

Fluconazole and azithromycin are considered as considerably effective drugs. You can consult your gynaecologist for selecting the best drug for you after proper examination.

The recurrence of infection in your case is most likely due to the incomplete treatment. The local anti fungal creams are not sufficient for full cure.

You can take some general measures to avoid recurrence-

1. Stay away from deodorant sanitary pads and tampons.

2. Do not remain in wet clothes for a long time.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries if you have.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor