Owl Image

Using the nuva ring. Want to change. Should i wait after the removal of the first?

Question
I am XXXXXXX. I've been using the nuva ring for almost 2 years now and it has worked really well. This month Im going back home so I decided to skip my period so I put a new nuvaring in the same day I was supposed to tak my old one out and i kept this new nuvaring in for a week and took it out again so I dont know if I should wait a week until I put a new one back in or what should I do? when should I put a new nuvaring back in?
Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 28 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So you put in a new nuvaring at the end of the third week to extend your period free interval. I am assuming that this worked! Here is what I would do:

1. You could have left the second one in for the full three weeks and then taken a week off.
2. If you already took the second one out, then leave it out and restart a new one on Sunday night of this week (even if you are still bleeding)
3. Use backup birth control for the next 3 weeks.

Please let me know if this answers your questions! Good luck!

Follow-up: Using the nuva ring. Want to change. Should i wait after the removal of the first? 3 minutes later
yes it worked and I will put a new nuvaring in this sunday then. Thank you very much.

Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 32 minutes later
You are very welcome!!!