Using skinlite cream for dark spot on face. Is there any side effect?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Pigmentation Problems
Question: Hi, am just starting using skinlite cream because there are many dark spot on my face . And i heard about this cream that is useful to remove darkspots . Plz suggest me that is useful or not and is there any side effects for using this cream.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Skinlite is a strong pigmentation reducing cream containing hydro quinone, retinoid and mometasone. Though it is useful in reducing pigmentation, it can have side effects of redness, irritation, rebound pigmentation, if not used properly. So it is in patient's interest to use, only if it has been advised by a doctor.

I would be in better position to help you out if you could provide me with the areas involved, colour of pigmentation( red, brown, gray or black in color), any preceding cause that led to pigmentation( sun, acne, any skin lesion) and regardings its duration and medicines used so far. Uploading an image of the concerned area would be of immense help as dermatology is a visual field

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 24 minutes later
My pigmentation are black on both chicks and i didn't using any treatment.and my is getting dark too.
My face colour is getting dark too so should i use the skinlite cream or not
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 41 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thanks for writing back.

Your pigmentation could be due to melasma.
To treat the same you might follow these-
1) Use a sunscreen of SPF 50. Do not forget to apply at least 30 min prior to going out in sun. Avoid sun exposure as much as possible.
2) Use a glycolic acid or salicylic acid face wash
3) Take oral vitamin c and antioxidant supplement
4) Skinlite cream might be used. However it should always be used in night and for not more than 3 weeks. If any irritation or redness occurs should be immediately stopped
5) Use of Kojic acid or glycolic acid based cream along with skin lite will help too.

I would like to emphasise these are prescription drugs and should always be taken under a doctor's advise and follow up.

Hope that answers your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad