Using protopic for contact dermatitis around eyes. Is rashes a side effect of medicine?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi, I recently started using Protopic .01% for contact dermatitis around my eyes. It has been effective in clearing the dermatitis in only 3 to 4 applications. I have used Protopic three times for three flare ups over a one month period. Aside from the common side effects of cold and flu like symptoms, I notice that I also break out in a rash under my armpits, neck, nape of my arm on the opposite side of my elbow, and behind the knees. One night I woke with a pounding heart. After discontinuing use, the rashes go away in a couple of days. The pounding hear rate only happened once. Is this an allergic reaction? Should I avoid use and contact my doctor?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Allergic reaction to protopic,contact doctor... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Obviously, as you have noticed by yourself, the rashes go away after discontinuing the use of this cream (protopic). So, it is an allergic reaction to this drug. Please bare in mind that the active ingredient of protopic is tacrolimus. I strongly suggest to stop using it and discuss with your doctor for other alternatives to tacrolimus. All the best! If you have further questions, you can ask at the next follow up. Dr.Bardha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T