Using nuvaring. How to avoid queefing?

Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I am a 44 year old woman who has been in a monogamous relationship for 5 1/2 years. I currently use the nuvaring. For the past few months I have been queefing when I am not having sex. I can be at work and get up from my desk and queef. I have noticed that this happens before, during and after my period. I am concerned that something is wrong with me.
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 1 hour later
HELLO THERE.

THANKS FOR WRITING.

There can be two possibilities.

1. Air that gets into the vagina is released. This is normal and odorless.

2. A fistula which is connection between the bowel and the vagina, allowing gas and sometimes fecal matter to pass from the bowel into the vagina. Foul smell is associated here.
If you have history of inflammatory bowel disease, bowel surgery, diverticulitis(bowel infection) or complicated vaginal delivery then these increase the risk of having a fistula.

If you are experiencing the problem on a regular basis or if you notice a feces odor, it is important to rule out the possibility of fistula.
For this you need to visit a gynecologist for XXXXXXX examination to ensure that there is no vaginal soiling with feces.
Also ruling out a fistula may require visit to a colorectal surgeon and certain tests.

However, vaginal flatulence is generally normal and nothing to worry about.

Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 4 hours later
Thank you for the quick response. There is no odor or any fecal matter. It was just weird because this has never happened before other than a few years back when I first met my boyfriend. Most sources relate this to sexual intercourse, so of course my boyfriend is now thinking the worst. Can you help me undertand how the air is getting in my vagina, can I do something to stop it?

I have an appointment with my gyno in a few weeks, I'm just trying to explain to him that it's not always related to sex.
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 5 hours later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

Queefing occurs mostly during sex because sexual arousal during intercourse expands the vagina and excess air is allowed into it.
This air escapes when penis enters the vagina due to lesser space available after penetration.
Also after sex, the vagina shrinks back to its normal size which causes air to be pushed out again.
Vibration of air within the vaginal structures leads to production of a noise.

You can avoid this queefing by avoiding frequent change in positions during sex.
Also avoid multiple reinsertions of penis once withdrawn as more chances of queefing is there.This is because more air is likely to enter when the penis is removed and when penetrated again this air would be pushed out.

Queefing during sex is nothing worrisome. Intensity varies from woman to woman and some may experience it more. It is nothing abnormal.

I hope I have answered your queries.

Follow up: Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 13 hours later
Thank you. I understand how it happens during sex, but that is not my concern. Please help me understand how this is happening when I am just sitting at work or walking?
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 47 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing back.

The mechanism of queefing remains the same which is entry of air and its escape from the vagina.
The walls of the vagina are able to expand and collapse. This is similar to rectum but this has a sphincter to control the release of air in unacceptable places.
Vagina does not have a sphincter. When it expands it pulls in air and that air gets expelled when the vagina again collapses without any valve to stop the flow.

Poor posture and weak pelvic floor muscles cause the vagina to expand and collapse all the time.

When more sensitive to it, queefing will occur as a result of just standing up or sitting down due to change in positions of the vagina leading to escape of vaginal
air.

To avoid this, you can limit the size of the vaginal opening by keeping the legs together and contracting the anal sphincter.

Pelvic floor exercises like Kegel exercise helps strengthen the muscles and prevent queefing in the long run.
Kegel exercise is exercise involving contraction of the muscles involved in trying to hold urine. Thus to do this exercise you have to do what you do when you try to hold urine when you have urge to urinate (do not hold your actual urination).
You relax and tighten the muscles that control urine flow.
Begin the exercise by emptying the bladder. Tighten the pelvic floor muscles as above mentioned and hold for a count of 10 then relax the muscles completely for a count of 10. You have to do this 10 times in each sitting for atleast 3 to 5 times a day.

I hope I have answered your queries.