Using monistat for severe itching. Not getting relief. What am I suffering from?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: Hi. I have been experiencing severe itching and believed it to be a yeast infection. I purchased Monistat-7, and am now on my fourth day of treatement. It still itches just as much as when I started the treatment (even more at night when I apply the medicine). I'm concerned that Monistat is not working and that its not a yeast infection, but instead bacterial vaginitis. I have never had either, and I'm not sure how to proceed. Its Christmas Eve, I don't have a regular OB to contact (I recently moved) and soon after Christmas I will be traveling for work for a week so I don't think I'll be able to see a doctor for another 2 weeks or so. Any advice? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Usually bacterial vaginosis presents with vaginal leuchorrhea, unpleasant fishy odor. Itching will be minimal in general.
So there is possibility of vaginal infection due to other organisms also.
The better option is consulting gynecologist and taking medicines after undergoing examination.
If that is not possible, you can go for broad spectrum antibiotics like clindamycin vaginal cream and metronidazole oral tablets etc.
Possibly with this you can get relief. But as per as possible try to consult gynecologist.
Along with this you can follow measures like:
-Avoid cleaning genital area with disinfectants, use only XXXXXXX warm water.
-Avoid harsh soaps, detergents, deodorants etc.
-Prefer cotton inner wear as much as possible.
-Take nutritious diet and plenty of water.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 11 minutes later
Thank you. Would you recommend I complete Monistat-7 treatment? (I'm on the fourth day and I still have 3 more treatments left).

Is clindamycin or metronidazole available over the counter, or would I need a prescription? If I need a prescription, is that something you or somone on your team could call in, or do I need to call my primary?

If I obtain metronidazole, should I finish Monistat and then begin the antibiotic, or can I start the antibiotic right away?

I understand I should consult an OB and obtain a full examination, and will do that as soon as possible.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 49 minutes later

As monistat-7 didn't relieve your symptoms and as it can aggravate bacterial vaginosis better to stop.
Usually the cream may available over the counter but sometimes you may need prescription also. Health care magic doctors should not give any prescription as per the rules, I just mentioned the name of the drugs because you are not able consult a doctor at present.
So you better call your local doctor or consult gynecologist regarding prescription.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.