Using hydrocortisone gel on razor burn. Any alternate cure?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I shaved my face this past Wednesday morning and apparently shaved a little too aggressively in one area on lower right side of my face. Shaved in that area several times left to right instead of straight down. Also didn't put any add'l shaving gel back on that area after initial stroke before I made those add'l shaving strokes. I didn't draw any blood after shaving in that area was done. It appears now that possibly a scar is forming although it may be XXXXXXX razor burn. I have been putting hydrocortisone gel on it since Wednesday night. If there are 7 layers of skin and I didn't draw blood will regular skin eventually grow back in that area after healing process is over? Is there anything add'l or instead I should be putting on that area if you envision proper healing will result.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 34 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX.

Yes, if the injury is sans drawing blood & frictional or mechanical induced & you have applied a cortisone ointment as soon as possible, then yes, the healing process will be good & your skin will eventually get back to normal.

Leave the current line of management on for 3-5 days; then shift to a 2% hydroquinone based cream applied evenings for about 2 weeks if one notices residual pigmentation after 3-5 days.

Please use a gentle cleansing agent for the next 2-3 weeks eg: cetaphil cleansing agent. There is a cream called Cicabio from the Bioderma group that aids wound healing & also serves as an emollient.

All the best. Wish you a quick recovery & clear skin soon.

Do hope this information was specific & helps you make an informed choice & do close this query if done & give us a healthy rating. Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 44 hours later
If injury occured last Wednesday morning and I ordered Cicabio cream off internet because wasn't sold locally(should be rcvd in a couple of days). Will the Cicabio cream still be effective if first applied almost a week after injury? If so how long should I apply it on healing area. If I do not need to apply 2% hydroquinone based cream if pigmentation doesn't result can I continue applying cortisone gel? Can the cortisone gel and Cicabio cream be used on face the same day.(cortisone gel applied in morning Cicabio cream at night)
Last question
I I picked at a supposed pimple on left side of face near near left ear lobe below sideburn and there is resulting irritation and inflamation/swelling around pimple area from pressing. No cut or blood resulted. What can I do to reduce surrounding redness? A family member advised to take Advil to reduce swelling and place ice compress on area as well.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 13 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

You do not require Hydrocortisone cream for more than 3-5 days. It can cause drying and cracking of the skin or acne and infections if used for long term. The purpose of using it initially was to reduce the irritation caused by friction. Since you are not requiring Hydroquinone cream, it would be better to use Cicabio cream. You can use it twice a day after cleaning and drying your face, for 2 weeks. It will still be effective after one week of injury as it will help in further healing and also act as an emollient.

Your friend is right. You can apply ice packing to reduce the redness around the pimple. Advil can be used if you are having pain and inflammation. Otherwise it does not have any direct effect on pimple. If you are not disturbing the pimple, it will subside with the above measures. Please avoid squeezing or touching the pimple on your face they leave ugly and sometimes XXXXXXX scars.

Hope I have been able to address your concerns. Please close and rate the discussion if you do not have any further queries. Thank you.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Thanks for prompt responses.
If In area bordering where I picked at pimple near my left ear lobe it is currently compressed, slightly indented and slightly red can I apply cortisone to assist w/ friction irritation which resulted? Can I use the Cicabio cream on that area as well. Could it scar if even I scratched top layer of skin yet no cut or blood resulted from such action? How long until skin would get back to normal appearance?

I broke out on my forehead two weeks ago and used Clearasil Tinted Acne Treatment w/ 10% benzol peroxide acne medication which resulted in a reaction which caused a dime sized inflammation in that area that is slightly raised how can I treat that area to reduce/eliminate swelling. I applied hydrocortisone initially based on advice from local pharmacist but hasn't had much of an impact.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 17 hours later

Nice to see you back.

It seems like the pimple near your left ear lobe is healing. Please avoid using cortisone cream on the pimple. Though it can reduce the inflammation there, it can cause the pimple to get infected. Instead, you can use the Cicabio cream. If you see that there is infection developing at the site, you could use an antibiotic cream such as Neosporin/ Erythromycin, as long as you are not allergic to its contents. It does not scar when only the top layer of skin is gone. With the above treatment, it can take a maximum of 4-6 days to get back a normal skin.

The swelling on the forehead as a result of previous pimples would disappear by itself. It just takes a few days (5-10 days). You can do warm compression to reduce the swelling.

Hope I have been able to clear your doubts. Thank you.