Owl Image

Using emuluments for vericouse ecxma on both legs. Noticed lumps. How will it go?

General Surgeon
Question
My wife suffers from Vericouse ecxma on both legs she has cream emuluments to treat the condition and recently two lumps raise themselves during the day in positions on her leg where the veins show thengo down in the evening and when she stops dashing about, they occasionally produce a small prickle then it fades away going flat until the next day

It doesnot seem as if you received an extra message of my wifes medical history but she did have a SBC skin cancer removed from her other leg surgically with no other treatment and its healed up well
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As your wife has varicose eczema it definitely indicates that she suffers from venous insufficiency. This condition is caused by superficial veins valves destruction what gives veins reflux (in a healthy vein the blood goes up to the heart against gravity, and the valves do keep the blood not fall down; with the valves destructed the blood goes downward). This increases veins blood pressure and the veins do get dilated and weak. This gives symptoms like legs swelling, leg pains while walking, skin atrophy, skin inflammation (varicose eczema) and can lead to veins thrombosis.
Mentioned by you lumps are most likely nothing more but elevated veins called varicose. Such lump can look really big as veins do have flexible wall. It appears while standing and can totally disappear with legs up.
If your wife is in good health condition, she may have surgical procedure which can not only help treating skin problems but also improve legs symptoms. Moreover, with veins insufficiency, there is real risk of veins thrombosis what can be life threatening. For that reason, surgery might be good choice.
Such surgery basically is performed by saphene vein removal. She should also use special compression stockings and anticoagulation medicines might be necessary.
Skin cancer history seems not related to that.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.