Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Using cough drops for hoarseness. What do you advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4852 Questions
hoarseness, for a few weeks, speaking requires frequent clearing of the throat, cough drops don't help a lot. no pain involved. just a bit irritating.
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, Your symptoms refer to laryngitis, inflammation of larynx (the voice box). It might require some time to recover. I'd advise to: - keep good hygiene of the throat - use air humidifiers - avoid smoking - try to talk less to avoid further irritation - drink plenty of water - I usually recommend tea to my patients (particularly linden tea) - I also recommend warm water gargar to soothe throat, honey and olive oil. If no improvement within another week, I'd advise to consult an ENT specialist. Hope it answered to your inquiries! If you have more questions, feel free to ask them while follow up. I'd be happy to assist you further. Dr.Sejdini
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor