Using cortisporin ear drops for sore spot in ear. Have nerve deafness. Should I go to ER?

Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was swabbing a sore spot in my ear with antibiotic ear drops--cortisporin. I have a nerve deafness with 60% loss and I wear hearing aids. I accidentally pushed the q tip all the way in with quite a bit of pain. It was bleeding a bit too. Now I have tinnitus and more diminished hearing. Do I need to go to the emergency room now? Or, can I see my Primary care doctor in the morning.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do visit ER early as may need a small intervention Detailed Answer: Hello, I am afraid you may have pushed the tip of ear bud against the tympanic membrane (TM). The bleeding can be because of injury to tympanic membrane but can also be because of injury to skin lining of external auditory canal. The tinnitus can be because of injury to tympanic membrane or if you have entered the middle ear after perforating the TM. Please do not put any ear drops and also avoid any water going inside. I suggest you to go to ER as sometimes there occurs an injury to TM which can be repaired with patching if the patient reports immediately after injury. Also you have a residual hearing of 40% which is very important for you hearing aid use and a timely intervention can save your this important residual hearing. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E