Using canesten for red and inflamed labia minora. What is the required treatment?
Thanks for writing to us.
It seems like you have minor inflammation post the scalding injury with hot water.
There would not be any acute scald/blister because the burn was 6 weeks ago - just minor inflammation left.
Since there is no itching, do not worry about thrush etc, but its still wise to get swabbed for it and other infections, as you have already done.
Do not worry about chronic nerve damage, as in that case you would have intractable pain/burning/itching/stinging sensation.
Try and follow the pointers as below for the problem you currently have :
Do not use fabric softener / harsh detergents for washing your undergarments. If you use a shared washer or dryer, such as a laundromat, you must hand wash and line dry your underwear, towels, and any other clothing that comes in contact with your vulva. .
Wear allergen free cotton underwear, not nylon or lycra etc.
Till the inflammation subsides, you might apply local 100 % zinc oxide ointment thrice a day, and avoid use of undergarments at night. Make sure you use the ointment, not cream , as the cream contains alcohol, which is an irritant.
Do not keep the area wet and moist for long.
Do not use bath soaps, lotions, gels, etc, which contain perfumes.
Do not use soap directly on the vulvar skin. Use warm water and mild lather.
Do not scrub / XXXXXXX dry vigorously / douche your private parts.
Use white, unscented, simple toilet paper.
Avoid use of tampons for the time being, unless bleeding is quite heavy. Use sanitary pads with a cotton liner.
Avoid using hair removal products till the inflammation subsides. You might want to trim the vulval hair.
Avoid Lubricated/latex condoms, contraceptive jellies, creams, or sponges which may cause itching and burning.
Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Thanks for writing back.
For chronic nerve damage, the symptoms would be unbearable tingling , alternating with numbness, and chronic underlying pain all the time, sort of tingling or prickling kind of pain.
Also, the superficial hot water damage you had is not enough to cause the kind of nerve damage that you suppose it is
Till the inflammation subsides, you might have a problem walking, as yes, the inflamed parts would come into contact and have friction.
I urge you to try the zinc oxide ointment
Hope that helps
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Swollen inflamed labia minora treatment
- Labia minora cyst treatment
- Torn labia minora treatment
- Inflammation of labia minora treatment
- Labia minora swelling treatment
- Ayurvedic treatment for labia minora
- Inflamed labia minora treatment
- Treatment of swollen labia minora
- Treatment of red and swollen labia minora
- What is the treatment for labia minora
- Why am I getting pain and electric sensation after having intercourse?
- Mirena inserted. Itchy rashes appeared, missing periods and having...
- Follicular study showed enlarged ovary, thick endometrium and no fluid....
- Pregnant. Started spotting after intercourse. Feeling tired with sore...
- Pregnant. Accidentally inhaled goof off rust stain remover. Should I be...
- How to abort 2 weeks pregnancy?
- Itchy clitoris and feeling uncomfortable after using vagifem. Suggest...
- Have had scanty period, heaviness in abdomen and moles on face. What is...
- 54 years old. Feeling bloated, frequent urination and getting delayed...
- Had vulval intraepithelial neoplasia surgery. Getting loose flaps of...