Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

165 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Using bleach to clean the room. It has got strong smell. Will it cause any health issue on child?

Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Practicing since :1970

Answered : 891 Questions

default
Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hi there. My daughter is in day care and, by state law, they use a bleach/water solution to clean/dissinfect. I noticed the solution is sitting in an open hall that connects to the childcare room. The solution is way out of the children's reach. My concern is that I can definitely smell the bleach and was curious if this could cause any long term health issues for my child. Please advise.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
How are you?
Welcome back to HCM!

Regarding bleach there are some controls recommended by CDC.
A solution should be made with 1 in 10 dilution for use which is supposed to be less toxic.
There are few precautions like one should not add any ammonia product to it ad it should be used fresh and then to be discarded as the effect does not last long.

Reg the smell of bleach there are no standards available for levels of chlorine in the homes.
Roughly 0.01 ppm is mentioned and if more than 0.02 ppm it can be smelt.
In a well ventilated room with windows open the concentration will be less.

The long term side effects after several years of use are lung diseases and tooth corrosion.
People with lung diseases ,breathing problems and smoking, are more sensitive to chlorine.

Hope this explains.
All the best

Dr Uma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on