Used sterilised urethral sound. Having burning sensation in urethra. What is the treatment?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hi I recently 'sterilised' a urethral sound with slightly diluted dettol. Instantly started to sting. Now suffering burning sensation in urethra (e3specially during urination) and have continuous slight discharge. How can I treat it? Whaty damage have I protentially caused?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is due to Urethritis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query, based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have acquired infection of the urethra (Urethritis) due to unsterile instrumentation (Urethral Sound) Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out organisms causing this infection and antibiotic to which they are sensitive. Start taking broad spectrum antibiotic like Cefotaxime along with anti inflammatory medicine like Diclofenac twice daily and switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Ensure to drink more water to keep your urine alkaline .This will also help to get relief from dysuria. Avoid sexual intercourse until your problem gets resolved completely. This would get cured within a week. Hope I have answered your query, Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions’ shall be happy to address the same. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E