Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

194 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Used sterilised urethral sound. Having burning sensation in urethra. What is the treatment?

Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 9956 Questions

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hi I recently 'sterilised' a urethral sound with slightly diluted dettol. Instantly started to sting. Now suffering burning sensation in urethra (e3specially during urination) and have continuous slight discharge. How can I treat it? Whaty damage have I protentially caused?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It is due to Urethritis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query, based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have acquired infection of the urethra (Urethritis) due to unsterile instrumentation (Urethral Sound) Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out organisms causing this infection and antibiotic to which they are sensitive. Start taking broad spectrum antibiotic like Cefotaxime along with anti inflammatory medicine like Diclofenac twice daily and switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report. Ensure to drink more water to keep your urine alkaline .This will also help to get relief from dysuria. Avoid sexual intercourse until your problem gets resolved completely. This would get cured within a week. Hope I have answered your query, Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions’ shall be happy to address the same. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Urethritis

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering form urinary tract infection symptoms since August 2010, following sex after a long period of abstinence (I am female). My doctor prescribed Urizone and Ciprobay, then Flagyl and Macrodante. Nothing helped. He took a pap smear and swab from the urinary tract and ureaplasma and mycoplasma were found. He treated me with Azithromycin, Zithromax, Doxycycline - still no improvement. Symptoms are still present. Should I see a urologist? Is it possible that the urinary tract got injured during sex and that that is causing symptoms of frequent urination, burning. Each time after sex, the symptoms are worse. I don t know how to get rid of these symptoms.

doctor1 MD

Hello. I was diagnosed with urethritis about a week ago and have been having symptoms for 12 days now. do you know how long symptoms should last with antibiotics and what the chances of this being a correct diagnosis are, if my only symptom is the constant, unceasing urge to urinate?

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, May I know how to I properly clean my penis. I am uncut. And I noticed I am quite sensitive to soap on my Genital area. Is it alright if I just clean it with Lukewarm water without soap while showering. Will it cause any problem in a...

doctor1 MD

Hello 47yr Male 3 weeks ago mastubated with Vaseline, woke next day with red urethra , the opening burns a little if a dribble of urine touches it, seen GP, urine test all clear, given antibiotics for 5 days, problem subsided, then masturbated...

doctor1 MD

I have recurring yeast infection. How do I know it's a yeast infection? I feel a need to go to the bathroom frequently. Sometime it burns. No didcharge and Monostat seems to take care of it but I don't like to take that frequently. it's probably...

doctor1 MD

I am a 26 year old man. I've used protection for vaginal sex but no protection for oral sex.

My meatus/external urethral orifice is slightly swollen, it stings when I urinate and I have an ache in my testicles but I don't have any discharge.

Could this be the beginnings of gonorrhea or could it be urethritis? How would I treat this?

doctor1 MD

hi, i have been recently diagnosed with urethritis even though i have been tested for sti,through having a urine and swab test done twice and all have come back clear. my urologist has told me just to drink plenty of water and hope it clears up. i would like to know exactly what measures i can take to help the recovery process and what i can and cant do whilst i have this condition, ie, alcohol, sex, masturbation?....this is having a very restricting and distressing effect on my life as i have been suffering this for the past five months and am at my wits end. thanks