Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Used miconazole and clotrimazole for yeast infection after sex. Have sore throat. Is it due to yeast infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1357 Questions
Had sex with girlfriend and hours later was itching . Found out she had a yeast infection. Used over counter miconazole and clotrimazole. It has provided some relief but after 2 weeks the itching starts again. Skin on scrotum is red but doesn't blister or break. No bumps or anything just itchy. Also now my throat or vocal cords sore ( do have some occasionional reflux which might agitate vocal cords). What do I do if the over the counter is not working. Ive taken it faithfully as prescribed for just 3 weeks. Could the yeast infection be related vocal cord soreness when talk and swallow. Any advice and input would be appreciated.
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: You apparently have a concurrent mixed infection Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. From the information provided, it is apparently a case of sexually transmitted disease, due to chlamydia, yeast and/or gonococci, causing oral + genital infection. Oral infection spreads by oral sex/kissing an infected partner. The reasons for non-response to the medicines include, concurrent treatment of all infections; resistance to the drugs taken; or, inadequate duration/dose of drug. You should therefore treat yourself with both : gonococcal + chlamydial + yeast infection concurrently. I will therefore recommend that you take Azithromycin 1 gm (single dose) on day 1; followed by 500mg daily for one week; Doxycycline 100mg twice a day for one week; and, Tab Fluconazole 150mg once a day for 3 weeks. In addition, there is also a strong possibility of Herpes infection. Get yourself investigated for this viral infection, which- incidentally- is incurable, and tends to flare up repeatedly in future. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agrees with my opinion and clinical acumen; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor