Used hydrocortisone cream for rashes on neck and noticed black skin. Side effects of cream?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Question: In the spring I had a rash on my neck and attributed it to getting into some nightshade (definitely was not poison ivy) or some other plant XXXXXXX I treated with hydrocortisone cream and the itch went away in a few days. It was right where there are creases in the neck at the shoulder. Shortly after the itch went away I noticed the skin turned a gray/black tone in the creases - it is still there so I wonder what has happened? Can the cream cause this?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 13 minutes later
Hi there.
Yes & No..it was most likely a combination of the cream & rash..what we term as post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. If you are not allergic to any hydroquinone agent, please use a topical hydroquinone 2% cream admixed with a sunscreen as you seem to have a photoallergic rash earlier. A cream that comes to mind is Eldopaque by brand but unclear if available in your parts. Alternatively any cream containing Kojic acid may be easier to aquire but these things take time..a couple of weeks to resolve. Do hope this will have sorted you & you are soon back to a clear skin. Cheers & wish you continued good health!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD