Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Used condom while having sex. Worried about HIV and STD. Is oral sex risky?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1979
Answered : 624 Questions
Dear Doctor,

I had sex with a sex-worker recently (2 days back). Though I used condom for vaginal intercourse we had a bare oral session where the worker performed on my penis with lots of saliva.

Since then I am worried regarding transmission of HIV and other STDs. We also did mouth to mouth kissing.....there are no open sores on my penis or mouth..didnt see anything on her as well. Is oral sex bare too risky. The sex worker was not a road side girl but one who charges about 5000 INR.

To clear my doubts what tests should I undertake and when? What are my chances of infection - STDs and HIV. Can HIV transmit like this?

Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 41 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

HIV virus are generally not present in saliva, or if present, it is present only in negligible amount.

Thus if only sex worker has performed oral sex with your penis, chances of transmission are negligible.

But if you have performed oral sex with her vagina and she is HIV positive, chances of transmission are present.

If you don't develop any signs and symptoms, test for STD is not required.

You should get HIV tested after 3 months, and if negative repeat monthly up to 6 months.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Used condom while having sex. Worried about HIV and STD. Is oral sex risky? 6 minutes later
Thanks for the reply.

Only the sex worker performed oral on my penis. I did not indulge in oral sex on her vagina.

When you are saying that there is very low risk of HIV transmission in this case, still you suggest a HIV test? Further, do I have to wait for 3 months? Nowadays I read the 28 day tests are done as well.

Are there any examples or precedents where the person got infected with Hiv because of oral sex on penis performed by a woman? Is it common in India.....Further, i do not know the status of the sex worker - whether she suffered from any infection or not...

On STDs...what are the symptoms I should look that I know I need long would it take symptoms to appear (if any). Is it likely that a STD may develop? Or chances are low generally?

What tests are required in case of normal path labs do STD testing?

Thanks for reading so many of my questions. I would appreciate response.
Many thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 54 minutes later

Welcome again,

I am recommending HIV test so that you will be mentally free from anxiety.

Though the test can be done after 28 days, but it is more reliable after 3 months.

STD or HIV transmission can occur only, if your partner is infected with it. STD can be transmitted by oral sex with your penis.

Signs and symptoms depends on type of infection. If you develop any lesion on your penis, you should consult your doctor. He will prescribe you tests required depending upon examination.

Examples are not present in my knowledge.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor