Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

174 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Used cast for a elbow fracture. Still getting the pain. Is it in recovery stage?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2130 Questions
i had a fall 5 days ago, went to casualty who said the elbow was broken, and put it in plaster. 3 days later at the fracture clinic they took plaster off and said that it was'nt broken.

it still hurts, i have sharp pains along my arm, elbow is tender and i have weakness in my hand when i press down on it, also bruising has come out on both sides of elbow the day after the plaster was removed. they want to see me in 3 weeks time. could it be broken
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.

You must have a X-Ray of your elbow (AP and Lateral view) done to know whether there is a fracture or not. If you do have one, please upload it so that we can have a look at it.

If the X-Ray is normal, then the cause of your pain might be soft tissue injury.
Take pain killer like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet twice a day after meals along with serratiopeptidase and antacid like Tablet Prevacid OTC 1 tablet once daily. Take medicines only under medical supervision.

Hot fomentation will be helpful in decreasing the pain and swelling. Give rest to your elbow with the help of a sling. For bruises, you may apply locally a good antibiotic cream. I hope you are properly vaccinated for tetanus.

If the problem persists, get yourself examined by an Orthopedician.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any other query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon