Used an anti fungal liquid spray for jock itch. Noticed redness in testicle. Is this due to spray?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Testicle Problems
Question: hi

I have a jock itch, I used an anti fungal liquid spray (has alcohol in it) yesterday and since then my testicles are very red, the texture feel like paper/very thin and it hurts A LOT when I touch the skin..it felt better for an hour after shower but now it's hurting again, I did not have this problem before using the spray. is this because of the spray? what can I do? thanks
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

It looks like you have developed allergy to one of the components most probably alcohol.
Certain areas of the body are very sensitive esp the scrotal skin. It is very sensitive to alcohol, iodine etc.

Things that would help are

1.     Of course, to stop using the implicated spray.
2.     Liquid paraffin meant for skin use.
3.     If you don’t get the above, coconut oil can be applied to that area.

Please use one of the above twice a day for about a week. Kindly use cotton undergarments and leave it open at nights.
If there is a skin breach, it is wise to get medical advice.

Hope this helps.
DR GS