Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Used Retin A gel on acne scars. Skin got crusty and started peeling. Safe and effective medicine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
I am a 29 year old indian female. I used retinA gel(0.1percent) on some acne scars 3 weeks back. I was stupid and used it way too much like all day for 2-3 days. My skin started peeling and got crusty and blistered. I stopped immedietely. Most of the areas have resolved but some spots are extremely hyperpigmented now and I think its permanant. Is there a treatment for my skin or have i ruined my face permanantly?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 49 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Due to over zealous and injudicious application of tretinoin you developed an irritant reaction which healed with post inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
Do not worry these hyperpigmented spots will resolve with Medication. You might follow these suggestions
1) use a salicylic acid based face wash( neutrogena)
2) use a sunscreen with SPF 30 even if indoors. Use it every three hourly in between 10 am to 4 pm esp when going outdoors
3) take oral vitamin c supplements
4) apply Kojic acid based cream once in a day and hydroquinone based cream in night. If in case you develop any redness or irritation, stop the use immediately.
5) if possible consult a doctor nearby to discuss the option of takin chemical peel sessions as it will help in better resolution of pigmentation.

Hopefully in a month or two, you will notice good response.

Hope that helps.. Should there be any other doubt, feel free to write back.

PS Should there be no query, we may close the discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Used Retin A gel on acne scars. Skin got crusty and started peeling. Safe and effective medicine? 10 hours later
Thankyou very much Dr. Kalpana,
But could you suggest any specific brand of kojic acid cream and hydroquinone cream.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

In India Kojic acid cream like Kojivit can be used while hydroquinone based cream like melalite can be tried. AS you are in USA, I would not be able to recommend the brand names for these as I am not aware of the brands available over there. You may consult a doctor to get a prescription of these medicines.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor