Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Use of hormone replacement therapy after 65 years of age

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Is HRT ever used for the over 65s in Ireland?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
In XXXXXXX the life expectancy for women is estimated to be 79 years. This means that the average woman lives for at least 30 years after menopause, a phase of life often associated with increasing rates of chronic illnesses, including cardiovascular disease (CVD), osteoporosis, cognitive decline and cancer.HRT) has been used for many decades in the management of menopausal symptoms and in the prevention of osteoporosis. It was thought to be protective against CVD. but recent studies have suggested an increased risk of CVD with certain forms of HRT especially in older women (>65 yrs).
So as of now starting HRT in above 65 yr old women is not recommended especially if there is no significant indication for the same.
I assume you want to start HRT and considering your age you do fall in the high risk group ( for CVD and cancer). So kindly do discuss it with your gynaecologist as individual assessment is the basis for such a decision rather than general guidelines.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Use of hormone replacement therapy after 65 years of age 1 hour later
The form I had in mind would be patches. My GP says they are UN natural. I've fractured, two bones, my leg this year, have raised cholesterol, urinary problems, Breathlessness and sleep apnea. Is there a simple test to see if my hormone levels are extremely low for my age? I am deeply reluctant to start taking the many medications that have been suggested.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Because hormone levels may fluctuate greatly in an individual woman, even from one day to the next, hormone levels are not a reliable method for diagnosing menopause. However since you are definitely post menopausal , the blood hormone levels like blood FSH and Blood estrogen levels can be measured to confirm the same .
For osteoporosis risk your blood vitamin d levels ( cholecalciferol ) may also be measured .
I understand your concern as a health conscious individual however your doctor might be right in not recommending HRT in your case considering the risk of heart disease / stroke and cancer in your age group with HRT ( even patches).
He might not have advised you hormone levels because most probably they will be abnormal ( ie in post menopausal range ) but that doesn't mean that HRT would be definitely beneficial to you or worth the risk .
Still you can go ahead with the blood tests for corroborating the diagnosis .As for the alternate treatments for osteoporosis, there are many who do get benefited by them too. The choice between HRT or alternate therapies can be best made by your treating physician after thorough evaluation of your past and present medical history and examination .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor