Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine with bad odor, blood in urine. On treatment for bacterial vaginosis. Should I change my diet?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
For many months now my urine has had a bad odor. Sometime it smells like black pepper a bit and sometimes almost like cat urine. I am 41, have been treated for bacterial vaginosis and chronically have microscopic blood in my urine but everything else checks out fine. I don't know if I should change my diet, see the gyn or urologist.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 23 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Bad odour and blood in the urine are varied signs of chronic UTI mostly. Only a sample and culture would confirm that. Also scans of the abdomen. There are many harms of not treating it adequately.

You should seek medical help. You might need a lot of prescriptions like antibiotics after test results come in.

Other possibilities include lesions in the kidney as well, either case a review is a must.

Diet alone will not help. A urologist is better.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor