Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Urine test showed presence of pus cell and rbc. Taking taxim o forte. Safe remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My son is 18 months old and his urine report say pus cells between 150-180 , the doctor asked for culture report and started Taxim-o forte , he is having for 2 days again we had got his urine routine done and now the pus cells are showing in excess of 250, RBC 10-12, urine culture report is still awaited....what to do pls help
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 57 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Your son does seem to have a significant genitourinary tract infection .But please do not worry.
Taxim o forte is an antibiotic safe in young kids and so probably started empirically by your doctor . However the most suitable treatment or antibiotic can be known only after the urine culture and antibiotic sensitivity report. If an appropriate clean catch midstream urine sample was given for the culture test before starting taxim o forte then then its advisable to wait for the reports which are expected after 72 hours of submitting the sample . The report will show the exact causative bacteria and the antibiotics to which they are susceptible . Accordingly your doctor can then change the antibiotic . If he is having any persistent symptoms like decreased urination or pain or fever or swelling of feet etc then its best to get him admitted for further management . If no then you can wait and watch . Though the urine routine report shows worsening it doesn't necessarily mean that the antibiotic is not working ( resistance). Rather than guessing its best to rely on culture report before changing the treatment .
Meanwhile make sure you keep your child adequately hydrated and well fed ( especially vitamin XXXXXXX foods ( citrus fruits juices , vegetable soups etc)
I would recommend you consult or follow up a pediatric nephrologist in your city ( most govt or corporate hospitals have such faculty) for the appropriate prevention and management of his renal condition .
Hope that answers your query.
If you have any further concerns please feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor