Urine test showed Streptococcus milleri. What does this mean? Am pregnant
Bacteria in the Streptococcus milleri group (S. anginosus, S. constellatus, and S. intermedius) are associated with bacteremia and abscess formation. While most reports of Streptococcus milleri group (SMG) infection occur in patients with underlying medical conditions, SMG infections during pregnancy have been documented. However, SMG infections in pregnant women are associated with either neonatal or maternal puerperal sepsis. Albeit rare, S. milleri spinal-epidural abscess in pregnancy has been reported, always as a complication of spinal-epidural anesthesia.Streptococcus milleri group (SMG) bacteria are associated with localized abscess formation, most notably in the liver and brain.
SMG organisms are commensals of the oral cavity and of the gastrointestinal tract. SMG organisms are notorious causes of pyogenic, invasive infections, and have been found in head and neck abscesses, bacteremia with endocarditis, liver abscess, thoracic empyema, brain abscess, and spinal epidural abscess.
Patients with underlying medical conditions, such as cirrhosis, diabetes mellitus, and malignancies, are predisposed to invasive infections with Streptococcus milleri .
What you require is a proper antibiotic course in consultation with your doctor.
There is absolutely no reason for worry.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Streptococcus agalactiae urine foreskin
- Streptococcus pyogenes pregnant
- What is streptococcus species in urine
- Streptococcus milleri urine infection
- Streptococcus mitis in urine
- Streptococcus in a urine test
- Alpha streptococcus in urine
- Causes of streptococcus in urine
- Streptococcus agalactiae urine culture
- Streptococcus mitis urine infection
- Sudden weight gain, lower back pain. Need help
- Pressure inside ear and pain. Have herniated disk. MRI and ultrasound...
- Elevated levels of ALT and protein in urine. Should I be concerned about...
- Infant has large belly button. Is there a hernia belt appropriate for...
- Do I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Done C-peptide test. Want to know...
- Dark circles below eyes. Have seven hours sleep. What measures can be...
- Taking immunosuppressants for Crohn's disease. Runny nose, congestion,...
- What can get rid of bad nose smell?
- Child has fever, dizziness, red cheeks, bug bite on cheek, no head or...
- Sneezing during variance in weather in Pune. Can you please help?