Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine incontinence, leakage. had vaginal hysterectomy for uterine fibroids. low grade fever, blood in urine post surgery. Bladder infection or symptoms due to surgery ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 577 Questions
I have been going to the dr on and off now for about a year feeling like I have a urinary tract/bladder infection. Sometimes when I go it shows I do have one and sometimes it shows I don't. I have been up at night going to the bathroom a lot with it and also have incontenance issues, where if I sneeze I wet a bit or even just jumping or some sort of excercize. I recently had a vaginal hysterectomy because of uterine fibroids. They weren't that large but the dr thought that possibly they could of been putting pressure on my bladder so he suggested the hysterectomy. I am still up going to the bathroom and just last week have a confirmed bladder infection again with blood in the urine. I have also been feeling like I have a low grade fever since the surgery but all my blood work looks good except the bladder infection. I would like to know if you can help me explain an answer to why I am having these on and off and could I have a bladder issue (like low grade infection all the time) instead of it being caused by the fibroids?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 10 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on the description provided I feel that,

Hysterectomy would not have helped you.

Although very rare, you should get yourself investigated for genitourinary tuberculosis.

It is possible that you might be having a low grade infection, we call it chronic UTI.

If all your tests come negative then you should get a cystoscopy done to know the reason for your recurrent urinary tract infections.

As fas as your stress incontinence is concerned you should start yourself on keegel's exercises and also duloxetine under the care od urologist.

Hope I was able to clear your doubts, do get back to me if you have any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor