Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Urine have red blood and bleeding increased. Suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
my wife's urine and pull ups contain bright red blood. The bleeding seems to be increasing. Our doctor says it is not a fistula and I agree but he has not said what he thinks it might be. An ultrasound for the bladder and kidneys has been performed but the results are not in. My wife is 83 years old and this is the first time for such symptoms. She has not had a hysterectomy or other surgery.

Where is the blood coming from and how quickly must it be stopped? Thank you
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
First we need to see whether the blood is from urine or from uterus/vagina because the causes are entirely different. It should be evident on clinical examination. If not, then an urine microscopy will be enough. If it is from the urine, we need to rule out urinary infections, stones in bladder or cancer of the urinary tract. If it is from the uterus or vagina, again cancers of the female genital tract are the top possibilities. For these also, clinical examination supplemented by CT/MRI and biopsies from suspicious areas are required.
I am afraid these should proceed quickly so as to avoid any delays in appropriate treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any further followup queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor