Urine culture showed infected with klebsiella aerogenes. Treatment to be done?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have just had urine culture and infected with klebsiella aerogenes. W hat is the treatment and how long does it take to go
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

With every urine culture result there should be antibiogram (the sensitivity and resistance for antibiotics of this bacteria). However, this bacteria can be treated with Ciprofloxacine 500mg twice a day for 5 days. After 5 days the infection should go away.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 21 minutes later
ANTI BIOGRAM shows sensitive to a)Gemifloxacin b)Prulifloxacin c)Nitrofurantoin and d)Doxycyclin. Which should I take
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 hours later
Hello!

From mentioned antibiotics the safest and most common is Nutrofurantoin 50mg twice a day for 5 days.

Hope this will help.
Regards.