question-icon

Urine analysis shows occ for epithelial cells. What does it mean?

Posted on Mon, 24 Sep 2012
Question: Hi. I had a urinalysis and the epithelial cells result is occ. can u tell me what this means
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (44 minutes later)
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Epithelial cells in urine are present all the time and there is nothing to worry about. As whole urinary bladder is covered by epithelium from inside, and this cells when old gets removed and changed by new cells, this old cells are eliminated with urine. This is the normal process. Such cells may also come from other urinary tract as well as from vagina.
So if you do not suffer from any symptoms like abdominal pain, burning when urinating, frequent urinating, there is no leukocytes or erythrocytes in urine, there is nothing to worry about.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (22 minutes later)
Thank you for your answer. I don't have any burning when urinating. I did also have a trace of rbc in the urine 4-6 and am not expecting my period for another 2 weeks. I also had a trace in blood 3 months ago on my last urinalysis. Should I see a urologist
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (4 minutes later)
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

There might be a trace of RBC in every urine sample. It is quite common as well as epithelial cells presence. So again if you don't have any symptoms I have mentioned, there is nothing to worry about.
RBC sometimes are present when there is an infection in urinary tract or when there are some stones, but this is associated with abdominal pain and WBC are present as well.

Hope this will help.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon