Urine analysis done. What are the findings in the report?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: im trying to understand my urine culture results, please help. wb-too numerous to count, rbc-none, bacteria-3+, casts-none, crystals-none, epithelial- many, squamous-few with transitional epithelial cells noted,mucus-none.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 6 hours later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
The result is suggestive of urinary tract infection and the next step is to do culture to look for the organism and its sensitivity pattern.
Based on that, antibiotics need to be given. If infection is frequent and recurrent, you need low dose long term antibiotics for 3 to 6 months.
General measure that would help are
1. Plenty of oral fluids.
2. Cranberry juice.
3. Emptying the bladder at bed time.
4. Emptying the bladder before and after sex ( if sexually active)
Hope this helps.Kindly write back for doubts if any.
Best regards
DR GS
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 17 minutes later
I attached pictures from the urine sample. They informed me that they did a culture on the urine, after you look them over can you let me if they actually did a culture or just a standard sample testing for bacteria. Thank you
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
I can see only the routine microscopy of urine showing wbc- too many to count.
I am not able to see the results of the urine culture test which will either
1. Be Negative or
2. Mention the name of the bacteria and its sensitivity pattern.
If not done already, it is necessary, as it will help us choose the correct antibiotics.
Best regards
DR GS