Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Urinary tract infection,blood in urine,kidney stones.Kidney cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I'm a 55 year old male. HIV-. No sexual activity. Last week I was in the ER with what turned out to be a "rare for men" urinary tract infection: My urine was filled with blood and dried blood. They gave me Cipro and warned me that if the symptoms come back, go back to ER. I know they're concerned about kidney cancer. I'm fine right now but I've noticed since that sometimes when I urinate the flow abruptly stops and my penis just "whooshes" air. This has never happened before. I've had kidney stones , I know what that feels like, this isn't that. Any connection to this weird peeing pattern and something serious? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.
First of all let me reassure you that I do not think there is any worrisome the disease process going on which is causing these urinary symptoms. I am more inclined to think that you may have a bit of a residual urinary infection.

I think at this point it would be very reasonable to get a follow urine analysis and urine culture performed. If there is still some evidence of infection you may need to start a more prolonged course of antibiotics. Sometimes this is the case with certain types of bacteria.

Again I do not think you have any thing to worry about which is extremely worrisome. I would recommend that you obtain the follow up urinalysis as recommended and proceed from there.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor